Tuesday 12 March 2013

Rewrite: Blog Day Two

Today was one of those days.
It was one of those days not destined for writing.
My wife had to pursue her calling in a remote part of mid-Wales and I was designated driver so, after a ninety-minute, sub-zero drive we arrived in Llandovery, aka Llanymddyfri, (see: Wikipedia) and parts beyond. I deposited my wife and drove back to town to park the car, take a quick walk and loosen up. It was a very quick walk. It was still sub-zero. Back in the car, I made myself a mug of coffee and settled down to wait.
It's not my birthday yet but I have already received a present in the form of a Tab 2, seven inch tablet computer. It came free with my wife's new smart phone. I topped it up with Twitter before leaving home and now I had the leisure to check my three Twitter streams and see what the world was doing. Three? I know. Mad.
But what about the writing? Or, rather, the rewriting.
Dropbox is such a handy gadget. I dropped Chapter One in from my laptop computer at home and now I opened it on the Tab 2 - Voila! - and read through Chapter One out loud. There was no-one around - this part of mid-Wales is famously empty: The Cambrian Mountains or Elenydd. Reading out loud is such a good way of spotting problems but no sooner had I started making corrections than I realised my time was up and I had to dash.
Home. Six hours of the day gone.
Walk the dog. Seven hours.
One hour left. (If you work in eight hour days.)
On the laptop, I accessed Dropbox and checked the amended file, finished the corrections and decided that the chunk of text at the end was in excess. I lopped it off and pasted it into Chapter Two.
From an initially unpromising start, the day had yielded a result. Yay!
Chapter One is now essential complete. Until the next time...
End

No comments:

Post a Comment