Friday 15 March 2013

Rewrite: Day 4. Yesterday

Sorry, I failed. Here is yesterday's post.
We went out for the evening. It was a great concert: BBC National Orchestra of Wales at the Arts Centre under their new principle conductor Thomas Søndergård . The Stravinsky Symphony in C was simply riveting . Then the internet dropped out.
It was not a writing day. It was a driving day and we went to Newquay (in Ceredigion which is in Wales if you were wondering). It was a beautiful day; the sun shone, the wind fell light, it was out of season and a handful of boat owners were peeling covers from the yachts stacked on the seawall for their winter hibernation. There was the sense of summer coming. I had dropped my wife at her morning appointment and walked down to the little harbour to hunt out a place for lunch. If you are ever in Newquay (Ceredigion) looking for lunch, go to the Hungry Trout. Cockles. Pasta. White wine sauce. 
We went in the camper van, the car being in disgrace, and after a vig walk down to the harbour and back - there had been a frost - I had an hour and a half in which to write. The good thing about the camper van is that there is a table and there is somewhere to sit and there is hot coffee. 
I wrote.
I took three scenes for Chapter Two and I wrote each out, free-fall, in the spiral bound reporter's pad I had taken with me for the purpose and, in all, it amounted to 450+600+300 words. Back home, I took the car for its MOT and it passed, thank the Lord. Now, I will be able to go on my writer retreat next week. (More to follow.)
Now for today. 

David Almond, the children's author and the 'creator of the award-winning Skellig', is on Desert Island Discs now as I write ... a moment's indulgence, please. Thank you.

Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment